Tuesday, October 27, 2015

Full Falling Leaf Moon - October

October 27th at 8:05 a.m. the moon is full. We've been raking leaves for two or three weeks, but there are still lots clinging to branches.

Persian Parrotia
Went on a tour of the arboretum in  Mount Pleasant Cemetery this past month with tree expert Frank Kershaw, something I've been meaning to do for a very long time. I convinced Rob to come along, so we both found ourselves among a small ambling crowd on a crisp fall day.

The cemetery has several species rare for Toronto, including the beautiful Persian Parrotia, the thorny Castor-Aralia and unusual Cherry Birch. The maples were absolutely gorgeous, and I learned I'd been mistaking Sweet Gum for maple.

Plot W is the place to go to see the more rare trees, but the entire grounds are worth the walk. The more unusal trees are labelled so if you can't join a tour you can still learn about new types.  Frank was kind enough to bring along Red Bud seedlings for any takers, two pots that are now waiting to be planted in my backyard.

The Painted Garden, by fellow Torontonian Janet Davis has a wonderful offering of photos that includes the fall colours at Mount Pleasant (I wonder if she is the same Janet Davis that is my city councellor?).






artist illustration Robin Samiljan

No comments: